You are here

Mohammed fights but Red Force on brink

Sunday, January 21, 2018
T&T Red Force batsman - Jason Mohammed top-scored with 92. (file photo)

GEORGETOWN, Guyana – Jason Mohammed was in sight of his seventh first class hundred but the effort appeared unlikely to save Trinidad and Tobago Red Force from a heavy defeat and their fourth straight, in the Regional Four-Day Championship yesterday.

Trailing by a massive 405 runs on first innings, Red Force ended day three of their final round contest against Guyana Jaguars on 282 for eight – still a further 123 runs adrift of avoiding an innings defeat at the National Stadium.

Mohammed was unbeaten on 92, an innings that has so far required 185 deliveries, 2-1/2 hours and included 14 boundaries.

Tion Webster slammed a whirlwind 77 off 54 balls while captain Denesh Ramdin struck 47, to miss out on his second half-century of the match and fifth of the campaign.

Red Force had looked in good shape but collapsed from a strong position of 244 for three, losing five wickets for 38 runs in the final hour, to stagger to the brink of defeat.

Seamers Sherfane Rutherford (2-21) and Keemo Paul (2-88), along with left-arm spinners Veerasammy Permaul (2-61) and Gudadesh Motie (2-73), all finished with two wickets each.

Earlier, West Indies all-rounder Raymon Reifer notched his maiden first class century when he coverted his overnight 85 into an unbeaten 108 as Jaguars, resuming on 466 for seven, piled up an imposing 540 for nine declared in their first innings.

The left-hander, in only his third match of the season after returning from international duty, faced 217 balls in a shade under five hours at the crease and struck 10 fours.

More significantly, he extended his eighth wicket stand with Keemo Paul to 88, to completely shut Red Force out of the game.

Facing a massive task to save the game, Red Force went to lunch on 33 without loss but then did themselves no favours on resumption, losing openers Amir Jangoo and Jeremy Solozano – both for 16 – in the space of 18 balls, to find themselves on 43 for two.

However, the visitors launched a determined fightback, courtesy of Mohammed, Webster and Ramdin.

Webster, playing with gay abandon, smashed 11 fours and four sixes as he helped add 84 for the third wicket with Mohammed.

And when Webster departed midway through the session, Mohammed found an ally in Ramdin to add a precious 117 for the fourth wicket and take Red Force to tea on 208 for three.

Ramdin once again looked in good touch, hitting seven fours off 120 balls in nearly 1-3/4 hours at the crease, but missed out on a deserving half-century when he gave a return catch to Rutherford.

The former Windies Test skipper ended the season with 799 runs.

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados – Barbados Pride, leading Jamaica Scorpions by 180 runs on first innings, reached 147 without loss in their second innings at the close on the penultimate day of their final round match in the Regional Four-Day Championship at Kensington Oval, yesterday.


PRIDE 427 (Shamarh Brooks 166, Shayne Moseley 79, Jonathan Carter 36, Dominic Drakes 33, Kraigg Brathwaite 32; Derval Green 2-50, John Campbell 2-62, Christopher Lamont 2-70, Nikita Miller 2-83) and 147 without loss (Shayne Moseley 87 not out, Kraigg Brathwaite 50 not out)

SCORPIONS 247 (Chadwick Walton 72, Rovman Powell 43, Jermaine Blackwood 39, Nikita Miller 27; Jomel Warrican 3-34, Roston Chase 2-34, Justin Greaves 2-36)

BASSETERRE, St Kitts – Only 16 deliveries were possible on day two as a dodgy run-up at the northern end ruined play in the final round contest between Leeward Islands Hurricanes and Windward Islands Volcanoes on Friday.

Hurricanes added six runs in the time available to be 99 for two when play was eventually called off in the day/night affair at Warner Park.

Devon Thomas, on 56 overnight, was unbeaten on 61 and partnered by opener Montcin Hodge on 32.

They trail Volcanoes, who were dismissed for 197 on Thursday’s first day, by 98 runs.

Bowlers complained of instability in the run-up at the Media Centre End, forcing play to be aborted and leaving ground-staff to make urgent repairs to the soil.

However, after the soil was replaced, the ground remained too soft for play to resume.

CMC er/ed/18


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.