You are here

Morvant Caledonia marches into FA quarters

Monday, October 23, 2017

Morvant Caledonia United continued their Cinderella run in the T&T Football Association’s National FA Trophy Tournament yesterday by booting out title holders North East Stars 4-1 from the penalty spot at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

The game ended 1-1 after after the champions got an opening goal midway in the first half from Keston George, but the 2008 winners of the FA Trophy equalized in the second half from Sheldon Benjamin, before a near perfect display from the penalty spot which saw successful kicks from Kareem Joseph, Sheldon Holder, Kerry Daniel and Otez Lawrence assure them the win. The Stars’ lone scorer was Jelani Felix.

Stars coach Derek King said his team had the better of the exchanges but did not convert the opportunities when they came. “In the end it’s goals that win matches and although we dominated the affair, we deserved to be on the losing end because we did not score” King said soon after the match. The current leaders of the TT pro league will now shift focus to securing the league with six matches to go.

W Connection also advanced to the quarter-final round by virtue of beating a battling T&T Super League outfit Cunupia FC 3-2 at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella. Connection may now fancy their chances of a final berth and possibly the title. The T&T Pro League campaigners took the lead in the 7th minute from Daniel Diaz, which they held to the half-time interval.

Later Dimitrie Apai broke the Cunupia defence a second time in the 53rd minute to give his team a two-goal cushion, but Kevon Woodley pulled a goal back in the 69th to reduced the scoreline.

Alvin Jones, the scorer of the thunderous right footer that secured T&T’s first victory against the United States in a World Cup qualifier on October 10 at the Ato Boldon Stadium, was again on the mark to seal the win for W. Connection in the 71st, despite Woodley’s second goal of the game in the 75th minute.

At the Barataria Oval the Defence Force got a hat-trick from prolific striker Hashim Arcia in hammering Super League rookies Central 500 Spartans 5-1 to move into the round of eight.

Apart from Arcia, defender Curtis Gonzalez and Akeem Morris got the other goals for the Army Coast-Guard combination in their winning effort.At WASA Ground in St Joseph the Police Pro League campaigners pulled off a 2-1 victory over the home team’s Eastern Football Association (EFA) team, but later bowed their heads in sorrow as their super league team went down by a similar 2-1 margin to Point Fortin Civic at the Police Barracks in St James.



User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.